Event planning tips
Tips and Checklist for A Successful Event
- Determine the event date, location and start/ending times.
- Make arrangements to reserve ands secure location(s).
- If you are hosting an outdoor event, identify and secure an alternate location in the event of inclement weather.
- Determine the per guest food budget. Keep in mind that you will also need to pay sales tax and most caterers charge a service charge between 15% to 20%.
- Determine if your event will be Formal, Informal, Business Casual, ect.
- Establish some ideas as to what kind of service will your event require, ie. Plated service, buffet, china verses disposable wares.
- If your event includes alcohol, you may have to get a banquet license from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board ( https://lcb.wa.gov/licensing/permits )
- Determine who will be responsible for decorations and floral arrangements- pre-and post- event delivery and removal.
- Will your event require a “Head Table”? Who will direct guests to the head table?
- Identify what special equipment will be required. i.e. extra tables, audio/visual equipment ect.
- Do you need additional tables for gifts, awards, and brochures?
- Themed events? Coordinate your special requests with your caterer or event planner.
- Will you be using Place Cards or reserved seating? Determine who will be responsible for setting the place cards, programs and time.
- If you will have entertainment, will they be invited to eat? If so when will they be served? Please remember to take your “selected personnel” meals into consideration when determining headcounts.
- Who will be responsible for “Meeting and Greeting” guests upon arrival?
- Will you require “Coat Check” service?
- Please inform your caterer as to who will be your on –site represenitive and/or alternate in case of emergency.
- Who will be responsible for payment of invoice? Have you signed a contract with your caterer and made any required deposits?